It seems like everywhere you turn these days marriages are ending in divorce. In many ways it is easier to run from the problems of marriage then it is to stay and make it work. Marriage is a commitment and when things get tough it is time to reconnect and dig in deep to find the love you once shared. It takes two to make things work and the following are a few steps that every couple can use to help strengthen their marriage.
1. Have An Affair. That’s right. Have a long term, monogamous affair with your spouse. Do not allow yourselves to get caught up in the day to day dull drums. Instead take every opportunity available to make sure your spouse knows how much you love them and why. Do not just say “I love you” instead say “I love you because… ” or “I love the way you… “. This really lets them know that you mean what you are saying.
2. Make Time for One Another. Time is one thing that most people seem to be running out of these days. Take time out every day to spend alone. Even if it is just 15 minutes before supper or on the commute to work in the morning. Those few minutes alone can mean a lot to your relationship.
3. Do Special Things. This doesn’t have to means spending a lot of money. Sometimes it may not mean spending any money at all. It can be something little like taking a break from what you are doing to bring your spouse a drink. One of the most thoughtful things that I ever saw was when a husband took the time to carve a heart and his name and his wife’s name in a tree. And no they weren’t newly weds. These little things can work wonders at keeping the romance alive.
4. Stay Committed. Every couple will hit those bumps in the road. There will be tough times. There will be times when you wonder what you are doing. Marriage is not just a love affair but a commitment. So when the times get tough you have to commit even more. Doing so will help your marriage last a lifetime.
5. Communicate. Communication is the key to a successful marriage. Many think that keeping secrets will help make things better. The true key to a successful relationship is to keep the lines of communication open and always be honest. Honesty will help your relationship grow and flourish. If you cannot say what is on your mind then write it. Do not however, allow important things to go unsaid especially when it comes to needs and money. These are two areas that consistently plague couples.
Marriage counseling offers a couple moderation but does not fix problems. If one or both parties wants to fix their marriage problems there are resources available. For more information contact Light His Fire.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Carol_A_Ingoglia